WOW! I knew it had been forever since I last visited my blog but didn't know it was nearly six months. Good thing I don't have any followers yet! LOL! Our basement flooded at the end of February (affecting five rooms) so I'll be posting some DIYs and furniture makeovers soon!
Mixed Media Challenge:
These cards are for the Concord & 9th Challenge #23 - Mixed Media. I have been playing with this Happy Balloons bundle but never finished the cards. I wanted to use the dies to create "real" balloons using latex and mylar and the Mixed Media Challenge was the perfect opportunity.
I love using decorations and such from a party or event and creating memorabilia or a thank you card out of them.
For this first card, I used tissue paper to make confetti and used a glue pen and jewel picker to easily glue on the bits of tissue paper. I started heavy at the top to make it appear as if it was falling from the ceiling. Some of the confetti I cut with scissors, I also ran the three colors through my die cut machine with a Papertrey Ink shaker confetti die.
I used an oversized latex balloon and diecut a balloon using the Happy Balloons large balloon die. I cut the same balloon out of scrap white card stock for the base. I ran the white piece through my Xyron to apply adhesive to the top.
I took a tiny bit of polyfil and put it on the adhesive side of the white base in the center. I then added the latex piece on top. I used the happy die to outline the balloon and add a pop of color on top of the purple. I tied white and gold string on the bottom. I used dimensionals to pop it up off the card a bit.
I wasn't sure how to finish off the sentiment. I decided to use a stamp set from Stampin Up! that I hadn't broken in yet. I thought the font of this stamp set complemented the happy outline die. I used the gorgeous Altenew Rose Gold Embossing Powder. I absolutely love the way their embossing powder melts.
This card uses a mylar balloon from my birthday this year. I used my Xyron to coat a piece of scrap card stock with adhesive. I cut a piece of the mylar balloon and adhered it to the Xyron piece. I then used the large balloon die to cut the balloon background. I used a piece of glitter card stock to cut the happy outline.
I used a simple white on white background with the Altenew Layered Plaid Cover Die.
I cut two smaller balloons out of latex to place behind the larger balloon and used the little "flair" die, I'm not sure what it's original intention was, to add a little pop to the smaller balloons. These were cut out of scraps from the mylar balloon.
I used the Happy Balloons banner die and "For You" stamp to complete the sentiment then some basic gold wrapping ribbon for the strings and done!
Like I mentioned above, I've been playing with the set for a while. I used the reverse die from the first card and applied it to an extra mylar balloon I had made to use for a future card.
I also had a latex balloon that I had adhered to white card stock that turned out great. I tried to stamp on it with Staz On ink. I used one of the balloon patterns from the set which turned out okay. Then I tried to stamp the sentiment and it was an epic fail. You really need to double stamp it for a good impression and it's difficult to get it to stamp in the same place. I think the latex allows it to shift a little underenath the Misti. I dug it out of the trash and included the photo so you could see how it turned out.